We have all experienced food cravings – and often those cravings have to do with texture – like something creamy or crunchy.
Food surfaces assume a major part in whether we like or abhorrence certain food varieties. For instance, while you dislike soft canned peas, you might be astonished that you like new or scarcely cooked peas.
Fortunately, practicing good eating habits incorporates food sources of a wide range of surfaces and flavors. Here are a few ideas on fulfilling your yearnings with nutritious snacks of an assortment of textures:Luckily, practicing good eating habits incorporates food varieties of a wide range of surfaces and flavors. Here are a few ideas on fulfilling your longings with nutritious snacks of an assortment of surfaces:
Instead of this: While ice cream may come to mind first, there are a variety of other smooth snacks that can be just as satisfying.
Try munching on this:
- Fresh avocado spread on whole grain bread OR ½ avocado eaten plain with a spoon
- Warm 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter in the microwave for 10 seconds and drizzle over ½ cup low-fat, no added sugar frozen yogurt.
- Puree some berries and swirl into a cup of low-fat yogurt with no sugar added.
Instead of this: Pretzels and chips have a crunchy texture that you may crave, but they can come with a lot of extra sodium that you don’t need.
Try munching on this:
- ¾ cup whole grain cereal, no added sugar
- Crunchy unsalted nuts
- Whole grain crisp breads
- Plain popcorn; to add some flavor, experiment with various spices like cinnamon or your favorite spice or herb
Instead of this: Sweet tea or soft drink may sound reviving, yet it’s anything but some time to work off that load of void calories. A medium-sized extravagant mocha espresso drink with whipped cream can be 400 calories-and that is prior to adding sugar or nectar.
Try sipping on this:
- Plain iced tea made with a squeeze of lemon. You can sweeten with berries or a non-caloric sweetener
- Add fruit slices to a glass and fill with club soda
- Instead of the fancy mocha drink, choose a small latte made with nonfat milk and topped with cinnamon which is about a quarter of the calories.
Instead of this: Jam like confections or even children’s “natural product” tidbits may seem like soft fun in your mouth, yet different choices pack more nourishment.Try munching on this:
- Fresh grapes are sweet and juicy; freeze them for a few minutes for a fun texture
- Make tapioca pudding with squishy tapioca pearls; follow the directions on the box, only use half the amount of sugar or a non-caloric sweetener and fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk
- Cherry tomatoes and room-temperature string cheese are squishy, stringy fun
Instead of this: A few people dislike apples since they can be delicate and coarse or grainy; the equivalent can be valid for over-cooked potatoes.Try munching on this:
- Choose crisp apple varieties like: Braeburn, Honey Crisp, Fuji and Gala; avoid Cortland, Red Delicious or Rome which can be softer
- Choose red potatoes or white potatoes and don’t overcook; avoid Russet potatoes which are high in starch making them perfect for mashed potatoes – but also making them seem ‘mealy or grainy’